links.html lists a "Dead site"

Want to change something on the site? Or add new features?
bs502

links.html lists a "Dead site"

Post by bs502 »

The links.html page seems to have a link to "dead" website: Planet Minesweeper.

Link ponits to http://www.planet-minesweeper.com/, but when I try to get there, I'm redirected to http://ww2.planet-minesweeper.com/ (domain parking page). On one occasion I was redirected to Franch Orange site.

I wanted to verify if it's not my ISP playing tricks on me, but when tried from English hosting site (Linode) I get the same:

Code: Select all

└─> wget -O - 'http://www.planet-minesweeper.com/'
--2012-01-07 18:54:04--  http://www.planet-minesweeper.com/
Translacja www.planet-minesweeper.com... 69.43.160.208
Łączenie się z www.planet-minesweeper.com|69.43.160.208|:80... połączono.
Żądanie HTTP wysłano, oczekiwanie na odpowiedź... 302 Found
--2012-01-07 18:54:04--  http://ww2.planet-minesweeper.com/
Translacja ww2.planet-minesweeper.com... 208.73.210.128
BTW - what criteria should be met to have a link to my site listed on that page? My page is a multiplayer minesweeper clone - written in HTML/JavaScript - actively maintained, and on-line since at least six months.
Bartłomiej Syguła <><

Think massive - play Massively Multiplayer OnLine (MMO) Minesweeper :)
EWQMinesweeper

Re: links.html lists a "Dead site"

Post by EWQMinesweeper »

planet minesweeper is in fact dead. it went offline in 2009. i guess its entry on the links page will one day redirect you to an archived version of PM.

i can't give a final answer to your question regarding what damien's requirements for linking to a page are. but i can at least describe the pages already linked:

mslive: 1 vs 1 online tournaments, one of the best, if not the best online implementation of minesweeper and used to be very popular among top sweepers.
pm: used to host the world rankings, used to be a master site besides msinfo
ms.ru: ussian community. it's, behind china, the second-largest national minesweeper community.
saolei.wang: chinese master site. largest national ms community
nonosweeper: minesweeper-like game which is popular among top sweepers. nonosweeper is often side-event at ms-world-championships.
wikipedia: well, sorta has to be there
facebook fan page: 150k fans, moderated by top sweepers, used to have big online tournaments.
last link: a very good tutorial, which allows even noobs to reach a decent level of skill in this game.

as you know, i already played a bit with your version of the game, but i didn't find it exciting enough to bother playing it more than a handful of times. i doubt that it will appeal to the majority of sweepers on here, as they mainly play the standard levels, with the normal interface and try to solve board as fast as they can. it might appeal to the average white collar worker who is often bored in the office.

just ask damien whether he would link to your page, and he either will add a link or not.
„Das perlt jetzt aber richtig über, ma sagn. Mach ma' noch'n Bier! Wie heißt das? Biddä! Bidddää! Biddddäää! Reiner Weltladen!“
bs502

Post by bs502 »

Hello EWQMinesweeper, and thank you for the in-depth explanation!

About a link - should I write a PM to damien?

I get the point - my site needs to get more traction and authority to be included in such good neighborhood. I'll try my best then :)
In the mean time - is there another page, that lists "curiosities" related to Minesweeper?

As for the excitement - many MMO-MS players like to resume a game, play for a while adding 1K-2K to the counter, and leave it till next day. And I can not fully agree that all those are "bored white collar workers" either, unless they ware working in the middle of the night ;)
At least this is what stats tell me (yes, I have US users, and I did correction with respect to timezone).

To summarize - hearing your opinion, I think advertising MMO-MS on this forum is probably pointless. For a "pro" Minesweeper player that solves Expert in one-digit number of second, solving "more" instead of "fast" is an entirely different style of game. However, I do plan to implement an 1 vs 1 mode and Team vs Team matches - on one board limited in side. The goal would be to 'outsolve' around the opponent(s), hence it could provide more of a challenge, and be a bit more appealing to this community. What do you think?

In the mean time - I'll submit my scores - I can play the 'classic' quite well too ;)

Thread closed?
Bartłomiej Syguła <><

EWQMinesweeper

Post by EWQMinesweeper »

bs502 wrote:Hello EWQMinesweeper, and thank you for the in-depth explanation!
About a link - should I write a PM to damien?
In the mean time - is there another page, that lists "curiosities" related to Minesweeper?
To summarize - hearing your opinion, I think advertising MMO-MS on this forum is probably pointless. For a "pro" Minesweeper player that solves Expert in one-digit number of second, solving "more" instead of "fast" is an entirely different style of game. However, I do plan to implement an 1 vs 1 mode and Team vs Team matches - on one board limited in side. The goal would be to 'outsolve' around the opponent(s), hence it could provide more of a challenge, and be a bit more appealing to this community. What do you think?
Thread closed?
better send him an email.
a curiosities list? there's a trivia article in the wiki and depending on what is a curiosity for one, they're hidden in mayne different places, such as the archive of the news section.
pro-minesweepers are still a bit away from single-digit times on expert, but even double-digit players would already take only 10 minutes to solve 2000 squares. the best players (who are among the most active players) could probably solve 10000 squares within 20 minutes. a well-implemented competitive or cooperative mode would be a nice idea. we had a similar thing already, in which up to 8 players could play the same board and points were given for solved boards, depending on the size of the board, how fast the board was solved compared to the best time of the past 48 hours and which ratio of squares the player solved. it was a lot of fun, but unfortunately it went offline.
„Das perlt jetzt aber richtig über, ma sagn. Mach ma' noch'n Bier! Wie heißt das? Biddä! Bidddää! Biddddäää! Reiner Weltladen!“
EWQMinesweeper

Post by EWQMinesweeper »

@bs502
seeing that a user going by the nicname axecutioner is on your rankings you might want to look into this:

http://www.minesweeper.info/wiki/Famous ... ndon_Stitt

i'm not implying he is cheating at mmo, rather raising the question whether you want a person with this kind of reputation on your page.
bs502

Post by bs502 »

I must say that it was a surprise. Thank you for the warning, I will be careful with this guy.

At the same time, He has done nothing wrong on my side, so I see no point in banning him just yet.

Your message made me think of how someone could cheat in MMO-Minesweeper - because the browser does not know where the mines are, only server does. And as long as the game is active, that information stays there ;)
The only possible way I can think of is to write sort of a "client" or "bot" that would play instead of the actual player. At this point such solver would probably do more stress-testing of the server, thus actually help improve the software... so for now I'm in win-win situation.

Anyway, thank you for the information. In case of troubles, I will be educated and better prepared :)
Bartłomiej Syguła <><