Minesweeper variants with no guessing

Fun versions for any operating system, including online games or phone apps.
emiter

Minesweeper variants with no guessing

Post by emiter »

Hello minesweepers,
I'm working on a minesweeper online game. So far I implemented five variants:
Classic minesweeper...
Logic - start with a board uncovered just enough to be solvable without guessing
Flags - flag mines without uncovering
Taps - uncover without flags
and my favourite
Detonate - detonate mines to solve the board

All games (except Classic) are pre-solved after they are randomly generated to make sure they can be completed without guessing.

Here's the link : http://www.logigames.com/

I would appreciate any feedback and suggestions.
EWQMinesweeper

Re: Minesweeper variants with no guessing

Post by EWQMinesweeper »

this looks very interesting.

some remarks:
in the classic windows minesweeper mines were placed on right mouse button down and not up. it's not really in issue, just what people here are used to.
it would be nice if either the colour or the shape of the numbers were like or close to how they are in the classic windows minesweeper. both shape and number play a role in pattern recognition and make solving a lot easier.
logic mode on expert differs a lot in difficulty. my first game had no openings and took a lot of time to complete. the game i just finished in 20 seconds had 2 relatively large openings and >20 mines that were far too easy to find.

a mode like flags in which you have to find a number of safe squares would be nice. also it would be nice if one could mark squares as being safe in flags mode.
„Das perlt jetzt aber richtig über, ma sagn. Mach ma' noch'n Bier! Wie heißt das? Biddä! Bidddää! Biddddäää! Reiner Weltladen!“
emiter

Post by emiter »

thank you for the feedback
I got some time to work on this and added a "Green flags" mode in which one needs to find a number of safe squares.
I also improved the flags mode an now safe squares can be marked with green flags and the board generation was changed a bit.
I know the difficulty is not well balanced. The board generator makes a random opening.
I need to think of a way to tweak it.
Judith Sunrise

Post by Judith Sunrise »

Flags is kinda fun (though strange for an NF-player like me). The green flags are helpful, but the flag-shape does not help much.
SiwelG

Post by SiwelG »

Hi emiter,
I gave your minesweeper games a go, I particularly enjoyed 'Detonate' as it involves the whole board, although would perhaps like the option to flag non-mine cells (green flags?).

I agree it would be preferable for flags to be placed on mouse button down (which would allow for 1.5 click), and that it would be nice if the look was a bit more familiar - I'm quite fond of the classic minesweeper look! Particularly it feels very strange that the cells go white when they are flagged (making the buttons look clicked).

Other than that the only thing stopping me spending more time playing expert Detonate is the lack of highscores and therefore competition. But I do like the game.