MineSweeper3D version 2.6 released

Fun versions for any operating system, including online games or phone apps.
Robert Webb

MineSweeper3D version 2.6 released

Post by Robert Webb »

Hi guys,

Just released MineSweeper3D 2.6. Added four new boards and nicer frames around stats and countdown meters.

MineSweeper3D is like minesweeper wrapped around 3D surfaces (ie the tiles themselves are not 3D).
Supports encrypted online world records, stats like 3BV (once game is finished), an auto-solver, and lots of 3D boards which may be subdivided to multiple levels. I tried hard to get the authentic feel of the original minesweeper too, while also being able to rotate and zoom in 3D.

See my site to download the demo: http://www.software3d.com/Mines3D/

(By the way, it seems this forum has a bug. I tried to include an image here, but it just keeps saying "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image". Google that and you'll see a lot of people getting this on a lot of forums. A bug in phpBB maybe? Not sure if there's a known solution).

Thanks,
Rob.
EWQMinesweeper

Re: MineSweeper3D version 2.6 released

Post by EWQMinesweeper »

This game costs money. A big no-go in here. World Records are not worth being called records if you charge money for such a relatively bad game. Compared to the official clones we have here, nonosweeper, torus minesweeper and a lot of other free puzzles this stinks! I really need to talk to Damien and ask why this game has such a long article in our wiki...if it didn't have an article i would have warned you and deleted this thread!
„Das perlt jetzt aber richtig über, ma sagn. Mach ma' noch'n Bier! Wie heißt das? Biddä! Bidddää! Biddddäää! Reiner Weltladen!“
Robert Webb

Post by Robert Webb »

EWQMinesweeper wrote:This game costs money. A big no-go in here.
My apologies if that's the case, but the Authoritative Minesweeper site has always had information about minesweeper clones, regardless of whether or not they were free. It couldn't be more on-topic, and people can decide for themselves whether it's worth it.

Maybe you could consider adding a policy that any non-free clone announced here should declare it's cost at the start of the post. Then people can dismiss it straight away if they wish, or read on and make up their own mind. Just a thought.
World Records are not worth being called records if you charge money for such a relatively bad game. Compared to the official clones we have here, nonosweeper, torus minesweeper and a lot of other free puzzles this stinks!
Relatively bad? Stinks? Why? I encourage constructive criticism, but this is just mean-spirited. I was not familiar with torus minesweeper, but from what I can tell it has just one board-shape and not much work in its graphics. Tiles are flat, not raised, and instead of flags the tiles just go red. All that's fine, but don't say my game stinks by comparison without giving any reason. My game has a lot more work in it, which is why I charge something to help cover all the time I've put in. If there's something you don't like, let me know and I may change it.

Maybe I should consider taking the nonosweeper route, having a fully working but limited version available for free, and then a "pro" version for a price. Note: the nonosweeper site has record times for their genius boards, only available in the pro version, which I guess by your definition aren't worth calling records?

I could even consider lowering the price too, as it's been at that price for a while. Happy for feedback about any of this.
I really need to talk to Damien and ask why this game has such a long article in our wiki...if it didn't have an article i would have warned you and deleted this thread!
I originally asked Damien whether it was OK to write an article about it, and he was happy for me to do so, not having the time himself to do the research for such a thing. Once written, he replied to me:
Damien, 31 March 2008 wrote:Wow, you're an editor after my own heart! I'm very fussy about the quality I want on the wiki, which is why at the moment only 4 people have been given the same level of access you were. You wrote the article exactly as I wish I could have written it (but I lacked the info and time).
There has never been any problem with my clone being commercial till your post.

Thanks,
Rob.
EWQMinesweeper

Post by EWQMinesweeper »

It is just my general opinion (and the opinion of several other active sweepers) that there is no point in paying money for a minesweeper game, especially when there are many good free versions like the official clones, minesweeperive, torus minesweeper etc.

torus minesweeper is free, runs smoothly and is easy to use - what else does a good game need?

nonosweeper pro indeed costs $10 but yariv has offered to give it away for free to anyone who has 80s or better on minesweeper expert. there are hardly any sweepers who bought nonosweeper pro and the nonosweeper records have a lot less prestige than those of minesweeper. the nonosweeper community is very small, less than 20 people, and we consider our competition not as an official worldwide tournament - there is nothing on the nono page that says world record, right?

about what damien wrote to you - he has is opinion and i have mine. if he is ok with your 3d minesweeper i can live with it too. he can do what he wants with his website.
„Das perlt jetzt aber richtig über, ma sagn. Mach ma' noch'n Bier! Wie heißt das? Biddä! Bidddää! Biddddäää! Reiner Weltladen!“
Tjips

Post by Tjips »

Just a few things I'd like to drop in here...

1. [name removed], stop biting the poor guys head off :P

2. Minesweeper3D is NOT a clone, it is a variant. Not that I have a problem with variants, the more the merrier :D. Let's just keep the terminology straight...

3. On the topic of charging money for it: What we need to remember in this regard is that 80% of the people who like minesweeper and play it, play it for very different reasons than those motivating the top sweepers. Although they do enjoy the hunt for a better time, the larger part of their enjoyment comes from solving a minesweeper board as a puzzle. This means that for a large proportion of MS players the attraction of MS3D is not in that you can test yourself in another format to see if you can still be fast, but to test whether or not you can solve the puzzle. So, in it's nature as a _puzzle_ game, not a competitive game, MS3D is totally justified in being a paid-for piece of software. (This is of course ignoring the fact that MS3D is actually very trivially different from normal MS, not much more than the other "other tilings" variants it shares the stage with)

4. I do, however, agree with fritz that something you need to pay for can't legitimately claim to have a "world record". That said, it can of course just have a top scorers list... Point in case is the (epic fail) case of minesweepers.org. If you're not familiar with it: You pay to be part of the community, and in exchange are allowed to submit scores to their "world ranking" via their MS client. The exp "world record" listed on that site (held by EWQ to prove a point, and the only sub50 score on there to my knowledge because you can't even see the ranking without paying :D) is 47.828 seconds. This is slower than even my own record time, and I am barely in the top50 in the ms.info world ranking. Thus their "World Ranking" means just about squat...

5. Keep trucking with the ms variants ;) I don't think any sweeper will really be too upset with the fact that it is a pay-for piece of software. You need to eat too ;) BUT, Fritz is 100% correct in that the chances of one of the top100 (I dare even say top300) sweepers buying it are very slim... Sorry :/

ok, cheers :D
The number of minesweeper boards:
Exp: 140055249834355336357264746443955277014822625680974475320364702381803619892657792049596418323789908370400 (1.4e104)
Int: 13115156192346373485000211099954895788134532256 (1.3e46) &
Beg: 18934455246 (1.9e10)
:D