Arbiter languages, translators needed

Area to discuss development and bugs of official clones (Clone, Arbiter, MSX, Viennasweeper)
thefinerminer
Site Admin

Arbiter languages, translators needed

Post by thefinerminer »

There has been lots of talk this month about translating Arbiter into other languages, and you are needed!

Arbiter has a .LNG file which can be opened in any text program. It has instructions how to translate and make comments in the file. Rename the file to mylanguage.lng and please upload here.

Hopefully Cryslon or another Arbiter expert can add comments to the English file to help others translate it, because some parts of the file (some stats and disabled features) are difficult to understand unless you know your minesweeper history well :)

Completed versions:

1. english.lng (Dmitriy S.) - included in Arbiter
2. japanese.lng (Yuuki N.) - included in Arbiter (Note: on my english computer the characters do not display correct, is the file damaged?)
Yunano

Re: Arbiter languages, translators needed

Post by Yunano »

I have confirmed the characters in the menu bar and so on get garbled on my English Windows 7 when the japanese.lng is applied.
However these corruptions do not happen on my Japanese Windows 7.

By the way, the japanese.lng is incomplete since some items translated to Japanese in the file cause corruptions even on Japanese Windows.
Attachments
japanese_lang_on_english_pc.png
japanese_lang_on_english_pc.png (113.53 KiB) Viewed 9858 times
japanese_lang_on_japanese_pc.png
japanese_lang_on_japanese_pc.png (30.59 KiB) Viewed 9855 times
gacord

Post by gacord »

I have arranged the lng file of Chinese.
Several players are using this file now and it seems works fine on Chinese system(XP & Win7).
_chinese.zip
Language file for Chinese
(4.46 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

The problem is that arbiter uses ANSI, meaning that language files will only work on a system that uses that language. So, what Yunano observed is to be expected, and not a sign of a broken language file.

Cryslon, is it realistic to tell Arbiter to use UTF-8 instead?

I just had a really intense week - but now that it is over, the german file will be done soon!
Don't anthropomorphize computers - they don't like it.
babz

Post by babz »

There are text i an't figure out where they are displayed...
Some buttosn are not readable even in the english version.

The translation need to to translate more than the .lng file.
In preferences, we can setup the automation record and counter, the explanations are written in the _autosave_template.txt and _counter_template.txt .

The problem is that arbiter uses one file, and won't check the language to use. We need to all right in the same file, or change arbiter to chose files with the right language
Attachments
_french.zip
(4.72 KiB) Downloaded 436 times
Cryslon

Post by Cryslon »

Tommy wrote:Cryslon, is it realistic to tell Arbiter to use UTF-8 instead
The compiler for Arbiter isn't UTF-friendly. I tried to switch to UTF-8 with a third-party library when i made 0.47, but it seemed to cause noticeable lags.

About problems on Japanese machines Yunano mentioned: Arbiter uses some third-party GUI components apparently unable to display any characters but Latin. Massive GUI changes are needed to fix that. I've neither time, nor desire to do that.
Go IRC! (try mibbit)
joni

Post by joni »

I hear your call for translations and am working on translating Arbiter in Albanian (just for fun mostly, I don't think the impact on the community would be that huge :D).

Cheers!
Joni