The Clone must go

Area to discuss development and bugs of official clones (Clone, Arbiter, MSX, Viennasweeper)

Must the clone go?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:44 pm

Yes! It shall remain legal until June 30th
88%
Yes! But June 30th is too early (specify in your reply)
4%
No!
8%

Total votes: 24

CBright

Re: The Clone must go

Post by CBright »

I sometimes see Rodrigo available on Microsoft's messenger, but he wont respond to any of my messages.

I don't know where to go from here; I guess the clone really has been abandoned. It's a sad state of affairs.
thefinerminer
Site Admin

Post by thefinerminer »

I agree with Curtis it is sad to see Clone go.

The good news is this month I had 6 or 7 emails with Shen-Jia Zhang (admin of saolei.wang) and emails with some of the top Chinese players. They will finally ban Clone 0.97 from their ranking (there was an issue with Clone 2007 that stopped most players from using it in China). It seems that last year one of their top players (Shi Wei Guo) cracked the encryption on Clone 2007 and wrote a program to convert 2007 videos to 0.97 videos, and this persuaded Shen-Jia that Clone needed to be replaced. The only problem for him is time due to a new job, but this vote has motivated him to start working on a new version of the site that will ban Clone and accept Arbiter, Vsweep and MSX.
qqwref

Post by qqwref »

That's great news, Damien!
NF player. Best scores 1-10-39.
joni

Post by joni »

Wow! the first officially accepted Minesweeper Clone is about to be banned! That sure is historical...
I remember the times when it was more or less the only accepted clone (I'm actually not sure if the IMC didn't accept Arbiter at all, or just looked very suspiciously at everyone who posted times on it :D).

I'm missing one voting option in the survey, namely the possibility to abstain... =)
EWQMinesweeper

Post by EWQMinesweeper »

since no one else seems to intend posting an explanation why exactly clone had to be banned, i'll try to summarize it: if you open two or more instances of clone at the same system time, they end up being identical. as long as you perform similar enough actions to the instances they will remain identical. this means you could practice a board in one instance in upk mode and were then able to play it in normal mode in another of your identical instances. clone allows you to save this replay as a normal game. this bug has also been present in earlier verisons other clones and has been fixed shortly after its discovery. be careful when trying to reproduce this bug though. in some cases another error can occur, which resets your local high scores.
„Das perlt jetzt aber richtig über, ma sagn. Mach ma' noch'n Bier! Wie heißt das? Biddä! Bidddää! Biddddäää! Reiner Weltladen!“