using the middle mouse button

Anything to do with minesweeper...
joni

using the middle mouse button

Post by joni »

Reading the guestbook I found this topic and thought it would be most suited to a forum discussion, so I thought i'd try a new thing and move it here...

----------------------------------------
May 8th 2009
Name: Gonçalo dos Santos
Comments: hi, I'm ranked at 192nd.

@all
@damien,specially

talking with Kamil i found out how uncommon i was by using midlle mouse button and not using double click. i try to find more on the internet and found this:
http://minesweeperlive.com/forum.php?th=18&page=2
...where Schu says:

"Don't worry about middle mouse button then (at least for now), I can only recall one person ever using middle button with any success, and he only got 66 on a very lucky board.
I certainly wouldn't fret to find out that middle has been taken out. So the extra click is the only thing left to do if you ignore middle :D"

so i got some questions for you guys:
am I realy the only one with this style? am i the best on it? do you play like me or know more anyone that does it?

thank you for your answers, kind regards...
joni

Re: using the middle mouse button

Post by joni »

Ronny says:
Nope, never tried it. (I don't even have a good middle mouse button ). I did play 2-handed (NF) a short while (clicking with 1 hand and moving with the other), but that was simply because of an injury (it wasn't fast by the way).
Posted on : 2009-05-08 11:53:08

Elmar says:
I played with the middle button on the left button and the left on the middle for a while. basically hardly using the left at all and flagging almost everything. got to 55 or 53 with that technique.
Posted on : 2009-05-08 12:46:48

Gonçalo says:
@Elmar why did you change style after that 55 or 53? should i do the same?
Posted on : 2009-05-09 09:05:19

Luke says:
I have never seriously played like that.
Posted on : 2009-05-09 09:13:14
joni

Post by joni »

I used to play a guy from US on minesweeperlive.com who used the middle button. Actually, the first version of the applet in that site didn't support double-clicking (as in left+right) but did support the middle button. That basically ment you were forced to play NF (as most of the people did) or try your luck with the middle button while many requests were made to the developer to add the chording feature. After a few weeks chording was implemented, but this guy found it more natural to stick to the middle button than to return to left+right. His times were slightly above 60 at the time.

Btw i think using the middle button is really good for IOE and cleaner play :). My mouse handling/clicking coordination isn't that good and half of the times i click on the right button before the left, which the program interprets as a right click, followed by a double click. That reduces my IOE stats and also makes for an increased risk to place a flag where i didn't want to if the double-click lands on an unopened square...
KamilSaper

Post by KamilSaper »

2 years it would be the problem for me to play for IOE, but now its easy:
1. put flag and do 1,5-click adding left click to already done right click
2. if u want to do double click where there is already put flag, do left click and then right click
The only difference is that if u do right-left click, u have to put back your left click finger to open square, and if u do left-right click, the square opens immediately :D
0.49 - 7.03 - 31.13
NF: 0.49 - 7.03 - 31.51
RonnyDeWinter

Post by RonnyDeWinter »

KamilSaper wrote:2 years it would be the problem for me to play for IOE, but now its easy:
1. put flag and do 1,5-click adding left click to already done right click
2. if u want to do double click where there is already put flag, do left click and then right click
The only difference is that if u do right-left click, u have to put back your left click finger to open square, and if u do left-right click, the square opens immediately :D
I've been trying to improve this aspect of my game play this week, because I feel that it might be the key to make the next time jump for me. My hands and my brains are simply working at their limits, so I feel only IOE can really make me improve now. So far it's only succeeding partly because I'm to impatient to play slow with 100% control for more than a few minutes (I never even have total control for more than half a board). I did notice my IOE is more often above 0.7 than before, 3BVs is slightly better, but times aren't faster yet.
NF 1 (0.96) + NF 15 (14.20) + NF 61 (60.18)

All my minesweeper records
TETO

Post by TETO »

Hi, I've been playing with the double click in the middle button for a long time now, and I improved my records because of this. They aren't very good, but i'm proud of them. 1'20-16-56. I find one advantage on playing with this style, and it's that when you press to discover a square, is inmediately open, and with the normal clicking with the left button of the mouse, you have to stop pressing the button to discover the square, wich makes you loose time (in my opinion or in my case), but I'm not an expert player because I only play, I don't understand nothing about IOE, 3bv, or whatever.