US States and National Top Three Sums

Anything to do with minesweeper...
wylx

US States and National Top Three Sums

Post by wylx »

I made two colored maps showing the sum of the top three individual totals in US states and in countries of the world. Note that all individual times were rounded up pre-summing, so the actual sum may be up to 9 seconds less than the amount shown, but the general rank of countries should be pretty accurate. Germany is the only country with a total of less than 150.
minestop3rec.PNG
minestop3rec.PNG (33.37 KiB) Viewed 3830 times
worldminesweepertop3.PNG
worldminesweepertop3.PNG (38.44 KiB) Viewed 4065 times
EWQMinesweeper

Re: US States and National Top Three Sums

Post by EWQMinesweeper »

and which conclusions do you draw from these maps?
„Das perlt jetzt aber richtig über, ma sagn. Mach ma' noch'n Bier! Wie heißt das? Biddä! Bidddää! Biddddäää! Reiner Weltladen!“
dg211

Post by dg211 »

Interesting idea. Do you have this in a vector graphics format for better scaling?
wylx

Post by wylx »

Sorry; I don't. I made this with MS Paint.

As expected, first-world privileges like Minesweeper seem to correlate well with GDP, accounting for both wealth and population. Perhaps comparing country GDP to minesweeper times would be interesting. I was surprised by Iowa's excellent performance in this measure, considering it's a state of fairly low population.
aradesh

Post by aradesh »

wow. That must have taken you a lot of work! You did it by hand in mspaint? I would have presumed you'd have used some special software.
thefinerminer
Site Admin

Post by thefinerminer »

Really cool.

It would be interesting to do some regressions.

Independent variable would be number of players, number of female players, sum of top X players etc
Dependent could be population, GDP, or some measure of female opportunity (average number of children is probably negatively related to female scores and participation etc).

Once the whole database is running online, the admin will be able to run queries like this, maybe even have a page for interesting live stats.