Some instances in MS I don't understand yet.

Anything to do with minesweeper...
Tim

Some instances in MS I don't understand yet.

Post by Tim »

Hey everyone. I've been playing for about a year now and can finally beat Expert sometimes, intermediate most of the time, and beginner almost all of the time. I've been practicing a lot on intermediate lately and have recorded the instances I do not understand. I am trying to refrain from guess clicking, and am attempting to apply logic to do solves, however my logic doesn't reach a few area's yet, so any help is truthfully appreciated as I would love to improve. Here are three instances I recorded:

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attachments
what_to_do.PNG
what_to_do.PNG (28.71 KiB) Viewed 3077 times
EWQMinesweeper

Re: Some instances in MS I don't understand yet.

Post by EWQMinesweeper »

1st one: top left corner is no forced guess. the 4 still needs 2 mines. this means at most only 4 mines are left. the other corner has at least 3 more mines. if the hidden square in the top left corner is no mine you will have to guess. isolated squares have 1 mine in 5 squares, same for one of the 3s.

2nd one: only guesses left. i would choose the isolated square two squares below the 2. 75% chance it is safe. if it is a 2, the squares left and right to it are safe. if it is a 3 the square in the corner is safe. either way it should be solvable then.

3rd one: no way around guessing. i suggest 4th column and 7th or 8th line. only 1/3 mine probability there.
„Das perlt jetzt aber richtig über, ma sagn. Mach ma' noch'n Bier! Wie heißt das? Biddä! Bidddää! Biddddäää! Reiner Weltladen!“
Tim

Post by Tim »

Thanks for taking your time to go through that for me. I guess I'm going to have to try and calculate probabilities mentally faster. Do you know anywhere to find good guides on common patterns? I heard about "corner rules" and what not but have no clue as to where to read on them.
EWQMinesweeper

Post by EWQMinesweeper »

hmm...there are only tutorials for absolute beginners but as far as i know no pattern collections. maybe i should start one after my exams this month...

i made this small tutorial a while ago. although it's not aimed at common patterns it might help with some advanced paterns
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7 ... 2049690705
„Das perlt jetzt aber richtig über, ma sagn. Mach ma' noch'n Bier! Wie heißt das? Biddä! Bidddää! Biddddäää! Reiner Weltladen!“
Tim

Post by Tim »

Yeah, that definitely should be something to consider (the pattern DB). Nice facebook guide for the meantime though, I'm going to start reading through it now :)