A 2011 Tournament in Scotland Again?

Ideas, info, suggestions and locations
thefinerminer
Site Admin

A 2011 Tournament in Scotland Again?

Post by thefinerminer »

[ EDITOR NOTE: Tournament was held 23 Jul 2011 - http://www.minesweeper.info/tournaments/UK2011.html ]

Some of the best UK players have asked if I could host another tournament. It is easy for me to host in Stirling - if people are not tired of visiting the same place! If enough people are interested...

Tommy plans to host a tournament in Zurich in August or September and this should be the "big one". I would host this tournament in June or July. I know it is late notice. It will be international if non-UK players are insterested, otherwise it will be a UK love-fest.

NEW (5 May): I think Saturday 23 July will work best - still time to change, but several players said this works.
I will add names and travel details to this post soon.

Confirmed:
Damien, [name removed], Aradesh, Gergely (and gf)

Players who want to come:
Rupert McKay, Tommy (and gf), David Greer, Edu
EWQMinesweeper

Re: A 2011 Tournament in Scotland Again?

Post by EWQMinesweeper »

count me in! i will definetely take part and i would love to visit stirling again.
„Das perlt jetzt aber richtig über, ma sagn. Mach ma' noch'n Bier! Wie heißt das? Biddä! Bidddää! Biddddäää! Reiner Weltladen!“
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

That is awesome news :)

I'm not sure whether I can come/will have the money, but I'd really like to.

This would also be a great opportunity for a final/real world test of the software I am writing for the wch, if that's OK with you :)

EDIT: Oh, and if the tournament takes place in late july, I'm much more likely to make it as I'm considering to go interrailing with some friends of mine, one of which has exams in early july... :D
Don't anthropomorphize computers - they don't like it.
Arsen

Post by Arsen »

I would prefer going to Zurich in September. Tommy, are there any details about that?
aradesh

Post by aradesh »

I'd prefer end of July.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

@Arsen, September seems more likely at the moment anyway ;) I'm organizing ATM and will have to talk to the people who are responsible for room reservations.
Don't anthropomorphize computers - they don't like it.
greggrant

Post by greggrant »

Hi,
You can count on me for a last place-finish :D
Gergely
joni

Post by joni »

Scotland was nice, but i won't make it this time. So have fun!

Keep me posted on the Zurich one when you decide the dates ;).
Btw Tommy, I am actually visiting Switzerland in June to participate to FEATS (Festival of European Anglophone Theatrical Societies) in Geneva, 10-13th of June. I won't be passing by Zurich on that occasion though, but you're welcome to Geneva if you're in for the dramatisation of a ghost story ;)

Cheers!
joni
aradesh

Post by aradesh »

where is recommended to stay? i'll probably come up by train on the Friday and return home on the Sunday.

is it a good idea to stay in edingburgh and commute to stirling for the tournament or are there decent places to stay in stirling?
EWQMinesweeper

Post by EWQMinesweeper »

robert: last time we stayed at the willy wallace youth hostel. more on IRC
„Das perlt jetzt aber richtig über, ma sagn. Mach ma' noch'n Bier! Wie heißt das? Biddä! Bidddää! Biddddäää! Reiner Weltladen!“
EWQMinesweeper

Post by EWQMinesweeper »

i booked my flights today. i will arrive on july 22 in the late afternoon and leave on july 25 in the early morning.