Should there be a tournament with drug-testing?

Ideas, info, suggestions and locations
gato_salvaje_europeo

Should there be a tournament with drug-testing?

Post by gato_salvaje_europeo »

Should there be a tournament where contestants are tested for drugs, possibly even pseudoephedrine and caffeine? Just asking. I think minesweeper falls somewhere between an intellectual activity such as mathematics(where results are verified as truth and drug use does not make someone's claim to a theorem invalid) and sports(where drug use DOES make a person's results invalid). Maybe not that great of a comparison(s) but you should get the gist of what I'm saying.
EWQMinesweeper

Re: Should there be a tournament with drug-testing?

Post by EWQMinesweeper »

no need for that. all sweepers who participate in tournaments are well-known and honorable members of the minesweeper community. none of them would take stimulants or other drugs and use this to gain an unfair advantage.
„Das perlt jetzt aber richtig über, ma sagn. Mach ma' noch'n Bier! Wie heißt das? Biddä! Bidddää! Biddddäää! Reiner Weltladen!“
qqwref

Post by qqwref »

How do you propose the Minesweeper community would afford such a thing?
NF player. Best scores 1-10-39.
NYMIKE

Post by NYMIKE »

Better question is what should I take to become better player?
EWQMinesweeper

Post by EWQMinesweeper »

do some push-ups every 10 minutes of sweeping. that should do it as well.
„Das perlt jetzt aber richtig über, ma sagn. Mach ma' noch'n Bier! Wie heißt das? Biddä! Bidddää! Biddddäää! Reiner Weltladen!“
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Actually I do think that caffeine helps quite a bit...
Don't anthropomorphize computers - they don't like it.
wylx

Post by wylx »

Diatomic oxygen also enhances playing, seeing as you won't be able to move the mouse much without it. ;)

In any case, going so far as to test for caffeine and the such is attempting to go extreme in equalizing. The very nature of competition involves inequality, from the very root of inequality of ability—a competition "discriminates" someone as first place, second place, etc. Even though this is an extreme generalization, it is a good thing to keep in mind when attempting to equalize opportunity too securely. Unfairness is ultimately the judgment of the community.

That having been said, I find it very hard to imagine that those in the minesweeper community would take enhancing drugs. Of course, it is plausible, but ridiculous. Then there's the meta-argument that minesweeper itself is a drug. That's certainly not to be screened though.