Ban lucky Beginner games

Suggest ideas for the World Ranking
alix

Re: Ban lucky Beginner games

Post by alix »

I don't know why you guys try so hard to ban those lucky click games. Luck is inevitable in minesweeper. In fact there are at least 3-4 forced guesses in almost every exp game, isn't it lucky to guess all right? Shall we ban every finished games with lucky guesses?
EWQMinesweeper

Post by EWQMinesweeper »

alix wrote:I don't know why you guys try so hard to ban those lucky click games. Luck is inevitable in minesweeper. In fact there are at least 3-4 forced guesses in almost every exp game, isn't it lucky to guess all right? Shall we ban every finished games with lucky guesses?
we are talking about beginner games that involve only lucky clicks. even if you get through 10 guesses on expert, you still have to do many other clicks, which are all fully intended to be on a certain square. those beginner games require no skill in my eyes, as the same result could be easily achieved by just doing the same 2 clicks over and over again. getting a non-lucky 1s beg game requires skill, just like any other record in MS does, getting a lucky 1s beg games doesn't.
„Das perlt jetzt aber richtig über, ma sagn. Mach ma' noch'n Bier! Wie heißt das? Biddä! Bidddää! Biddddäää! Reiner Weltladen!“
thefinerminer
Site Admin

Post by thefinerminer »

Today I finally applied the Lucky rule to the world rankings. The long wait was because I had trouble deciding how to change the database and website code. Here is how it works:

Since 20110406 I have put all Lucky beginner games in the "Problem" category and none were allowed on the ranking. That was easy. This week I changed all the old Lucky games to the "Historical" category and put an "Expire" date of 20110406. I then added each Lucky game to the database as a new "Official" score of 1 and gave them an "Effective" date of 20110406. This means old Lucky games will appear with decimal times on old rankings and starting on 20110406 will appear as a 1 unless the player has another official Beginner game that is faster.

I think this is a fair solution for several reasons:
1) Lucky games have no skill and do not deserve to be on a world ranking that ranks skill.
2) It is unfair to delete Lucky games made before the rule. Rounding to 1 keeps them on the ranking but encourages the player to try to get an official decimal video.
3) Not allowing new Lucky games to be accepted and rounded to 1 removes the motive to cheat with a clicker program.
4) About 300 players scored 1 on Winmine before videos became mandatory. Almost every game is a Lucky 0.XX but we list them as 1. You can argue we have always used the Lucky rule!

Thanks for all your advice!